Ok. Most veggie “cheeses” use nuts. I’m wanting to avoid nuts and go nut-free as much as possible. I found and modified this gem of a recipe to suit my goals. The result? Meltable, edible gooey veggie-cheese.
Low Fat Nut-Free Vegan Meltable Mozzarella
- 3.5 oz firm tofu
- 1/2 cup unsweetened oat milk
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch or flour
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook over high or medium-high heat for about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly until it thickens. The mixture will come together into a ball . It will become sticky and pull away from the pan when ready.
- Transfer to a bowl and let it cool down a little bit. Then make balls using a spoon and your hands (wet them to prevent sticking). Place the balls in a bowl with brine (I added about 1/2 tsp of salt for each cup or 250 ml of water) and let them cool down completely.
- Eat the mozzarella cold or hot.
- If you’re not going to eat it immediately, store the balls in a sealed container with some brine for about 3 to 4 days.